The purpose of the SIGHPC Education K-12 Committee is to support educators introducing HPC & Data Science concepts in K-12 settings by:
- Building community and connecting people working in this space
- Identifying and promoting useful teaching resources and activities, aligned with the discipline standards, including Math & Science (and relevant standards from other countries.
- Supporting professional development for both in-service and pre-service teachers, particularly in the Computational Thinking and Parallel Thinking spaces
- Identifying gaps in the existing resources and supporting the development of new resources to fill those gaps.
- Identifying funding and resource opportunities to support these activities
- In coordination with the education content committee, develop pathways in Data Science and HPC education at the K-12 level to best prepare students to advance their undergraduate studies.
- Build career identification resources for K-12 to demonstrate the application of these skills
- Identify resources directly relevant to the K-12 (pre-college) charter, which may then be proposed for addition to the repository of resources for K-12 education in HPC and Data Science. Support and advocate for pre-service teacher training in Computational and Data Science.
- Seek partnerships with appropriate teacher professional associations around the world.