The SIGHPC Education chapter is the first ACM virtual Chapter. As such, we have devised a set of by-laws that reflects the fact that our membership will be widely distributed geographically and will participate in many of our activities remotely using Internet technologies.
By-laws of the Special Interest Group on High Performance Computing Education Association for Computing Machinery (SIGHPC Education ACM) Chapter.
Chartered: May 9, 2014
Article I: Name and Scope
This organization shall be called: SIGHPC Education ACM Chapter. In these bylaws it is referred to as the Chapter; the Association for Computing Machinery is referred to as the ACM.
- The scope of the Chapter is SIGHPC High Performance Computing.
- The Chapter will support activities complimentary to SIGHPC, the ACM, and other ACM activities in the Columbus area.
Article II: Purpose
Chapter is organized and will be operated exclusively for educational and scientific purposes to promote the following:
- To promote increased knowledge of and greater interest in the science, design, development and applications of modern computing in SIGHPC High Performance Computing.
- A means of communication between persons having an interest in computing
The activities of this Chapter will include the following:
- Collecting and disseminating information through a newsletter, or other publication.
- Sponsoring meetings, discussion groups, and workshops.
- Working with other ACM units on activities such as lectures, professional development seminars and technical briefings.
The Chapter is chartered by the ACM. It is formed and will operate under the sponsorship of SIGHPC Education Chapter (Chartered 9 May 2014) Page 2 the ACM and the SIG Governing Board.
Article III: Membership
The provisions of this section must conform to the membership provisions specified in ACM’s Bylaw 5, Section 5.
- Membership in the Chapter shall be open to all ACM members and nonmembers, upon request and payment of any local dues.
- Voting membership in the Chapter shall be granted to all ACM members and ACM SIG members in the locality served by the chapter.
- Student membership shall be open to all full-time students. Student membership dues shall not exceed 75 percent of regular member dues.
Article IV: Officers
- The officers of this Chapter shall be: Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary. These officers constitute the Council. Other officers may also be established.
- The scope of the Chapter is SIGHPC High Performance Computing.All officers of the Chapter must be voting members of the ACM and members of SIGHPC.the ACM.
- The officers shall be elected by a plurality of the votes cast at the annual election meeting to be held in May. They shall take office on May 09, 2014 and serve for one year.
- No member may serve in the office of Chair or Vice Chair for more than two consecutive years.
Article V: Duties of the Officers
- The Chair is the principal officer and is responsible for leading the Chapter and managing its activities in accordance with the policies and procedures of the ACM and these bylaws. The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the chapter and of its Executive Council.
- Completion and submission of the financial report to ACM headquarters via the Chapter Administrative Interface.
- Collection of dues and prompt payment of bills.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by the Chair.
Article VI: Executive Council
- The Executive Council shall consist of the Chapter officers and the immediate past Chair.
- The scope of the Chapter is SIGHPC High Performance Computing. All officers of the Chapter must be voting members of the ACM and members of the ACM SIGHPC.